The International Yoga Day is celebrated every year on 21 June to raise global awareness about the benefits of the ancient Indian practice. Days ahead of International Yoga Day, the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) on Sunday launched a Certificate Programme in Yoga (CPY), which will begin from July 2019 session. IGNOU’s School of Health Sciences (SOHS) launched the programme under which the learner shall understand the basic principles and practice of yoga.
Professor S.B. Arora sharing details about the new programme said that after studying this particular programme, the learner shall understand the basic principles and practice of yoga. He further added that the programme also aims to make the candidate aware about the history and the contribution of various Yogis in the field of Yoga and attain both physical and mental health through Yoga.
Here is all you need to know about IGNOU’s Certificate Programme in Yoga (CPY)
1. Students need to have completed their Class 12 from any recognised board to be eligible for the course.
2. The course will be imparted in English language.
3. Applicants would need to pay ₹10,000 for the programme, which could last from a minimum of six months to a maximum of two years.
4. The programme will have a total of three courses—introduction to yoga and yogic texts; yoga and health; and Shat Kriyas, Yogic Kriyas, Asanas, Pranayama, Mantra Japa.
5. The course will be offered at regional centres in Delhi, Dehradun, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Jaipur, Ladnun, Chennai, Mumbai and Pune.